Friday 6 October 2017

Missing in action

I have not been able to post in the last few weeks since maybe Thing 4 which I still have to attempt! I am busy with library tours & inductions for the past few weeks. 
I am working in an academic library for the first time so was nervous about presenting to third level students.  What if they laughed or worse are bored out of their minds and worse again what if I am really really bad at explaining what I am suppose to know!
I worked in public libraries for years and while preschool story time is hard (toddlers have no qualms in letting you know how bad you are!) it felt more daunting to go and speak to 'adults'.  But having done my first week it feels good to have tried it out. I didn't make a complete fool of myself, could answer questions and didn't get too nervous.  I don't think I was a total failure at it and colleagues ( some who have vast experience and knowledge) have congratulated on me on being brave and have told me that they wished they had the courage to go and present.  Maybe that is the thing with libraries and library staff we don't give ourselves enough credit.  Why shouldn't library staff present and demonstrate how our department works and how students need our expertise?  Maybe we suffer from imposter syndrome?  I have to say coming from public libraries to academic libraries I feel that maybe I am not considered to be as competent as other staff members.  I doubt myself and my experience.  It makes me question even the validity of what we are doing on a daily basis.  Maybe it is a good thing to step out from behind the desk and interact with our students (because they are our students as well).  Maybe I need the challenge of hearing myself speak and push home the message of libraries. Hopefully, this course will give me the chance to interact with others and learn from them. 

1 comment:

  1. Pardon my delayed reply! Don't worry about being 'late' with the Things -- there's plenty of time, we'll be keeping all the lessons open until the spring at least, and we'll be moderating the whole time!

    I can definitely identify with your nervousness from this term! This was my second season of inductions at my current workplace, and I delivered presentations to a lot of groups I'd had no exposure to before. But I think having worked at a public library -- presumably a fair bit with teens? -- is really good preparation actually for working with undergrads in particular. Sounds like it went well, which is great!

    ReplyDelete

Reflective practice

REFLECTIVE PRACTICE This is my reflective practice post.  I have broken it into three areas.  It is simply divided by THING 3, THING 4 &...